When I am stuck for ideas, this meal always go down well with my boys. You can easily substitute the prawns for any other meat or without meat if you prefer. You can add most types of vegetables so anything you have in the fridge so you don’t necessarily need to use all the ingredients I have listed below. The secret to getting a good fried rice is to make sure your pan is nice and hot. Just be sure you cook the different meat for the required time.
Prep time: .
- 2 cups rice (approx. 320ml of rice)
- 2 eggs
- Vegetables (savoy cabbage - thinly sliced, carrots chunks and peas)
- Spring onion, chopped
- Boil 320ml of rice until cooked, light and fluffy. Once cooked, let the rice rest and cool.
- Stir fry the vegetables in a little oil until cooked. Leave aside to cool.
- Crack and whisk the eggs. In a separate wok or non-stick pan, add 2tbsp of oil, and turn heat up high. When the oil is hot, add the eggs into the pan, give it a couple of stirs (if you are using fresh raw prawns, add to the eggs at this stage, cook for 30secs) and then add the cooked rice. You do not need the egg to cook through before adding the rice.
- Stir the rice frequently and fry the rice until it is hot, add the cooked stir fried vegetables and spring onions. If you are using pre-cooked prawns, you can add to the rice at this stage and cook to warm up.
- Add salt and soy sauce to taste.